Board Meeting Notes
Gettysburg Civil War Roundtable
Board Meeting Minutes
March 9, 2017
- Called to Order: 6:30 p.m. at Perkins
Members Present: Lynn Heller, (President), Roger Heller (Program Chair), Linda Seamon (Correspondent Secretary), Dave Diner (Treasurer),
Eleanor Bilz (Recording Secretary).
Board Members: Dale Molina, Larry Plymire, Larry Korczyk (last meeting as Board member)
Al Ferranto, Guest
Lynn briefly reviewed business issues from last meeting.
- PayPal was set up for field trip
- Larry gave out book review guidelines
- Treasurer- Dave passed out financial statement. We have balance of $13,097.47. Additional funds are due to monies deposited for our upcoming field trip.
- Secretary- Linda said she emailed or called delinquent members. We have 90 paid members and just added 7 new members for a total of 97 paid members for 2017. We have 37 from 2016 who have not renewed their membership.
- Recording Secretary: Ellie had nothing to report.
- Programs- Roger handed out the speaker list for the remainder of 2017. All of them are confirmed save the October speaker. If he cannot do his talk due to work commitments, Roger has a back-up speaker. Roger mentioned that in considering speakers and topics, he wishes to hear not just about the battle, but about people. He also wishes to see more women speakers. For our summer speakers, he set up rain dates, due to a history of inclement weather at past summer meetings.
- Plaque Committee- At the last meeting, Kendra said the cost of the plaques is $933 for 10 plaques plus a one-time charge of $85 to remake the mold which disintegrated over the years.
- At that point, Dave suggested using the preservation fund monies for the plaques and then reimbursing the fund as the plaques are sold and a motion was made to table the discussion of whether is use the monies in the preservation fund to pay for the plaques. However, at this meeting, Dave said he and his wife decided to make a donation of $1,000 to cover the cost of the plaques. Larry made a motion to use income from the sale of the plaques to go into the preservation fund to be used for purchase of future plaques. Linda seconded the motion and it was passed by all.
- Book Committee- Larry put together and distributed a guideline for the book award program. He has 11 books and possibly three more will be forthcoming. He has 10 readers in his committee. It was noted during this discussion that there may not be any more “witness wood” available for future trophies.
- Cal Doucette Achievement Award-Ron was absent but there was nothing to report.
- Nominating Committee- Ron was absent but Lynn announced that Chuck Teague put forth his name as President. Lynn suggests that we not announce Chuck’s name to the membership yet, in the hope that others may step forward for this position.
- Items listed on the agenda as unfinished business were mostly covered under the committee report section.
- Lynn will put together an updated list of Committee Chairs and members for the President’s Binder.
- As part of our field trip, $500.00 of the Preservation Fund monies will be used as a donation to the Save Historical Antietam Foundation.
- Linda reported that the Audit Committee did a financial review of our books and complimented Dave on a fine job of keeping track of our finances. She provided a written report to Lynn and will give an oral report at the April meeting.
- Al Ferranto asked to address the Board. He proposed reinstating the Show and Tell portion of the meeting with a maximum of 10 minutes to discuss the item(s). He offered to be the contact for such requests and to put an ad in the Gettysburg Times. If there is no presenter for a particular meeting, Al will bring in items of interest that he possesses.
- Roger brought up the need for updated equipment for our speakers. He purchased a new cable for the laptop and a remote for switching PowerPoint slides while speaking. He is absorbing the cost as a donation to the Roundtable. However, he mentioned the need for a designated laptop so that speakers need only bring a flash drive to our meetings.
A discussion followed on ways to achieve this. Purchase outright? Ask for monies to be donated? Ask for a used laptop in working condition? No decision was made at this time.
- Roger mentioned that there might only be one seat left on the bus for our field trip.
- At this time Lynn thanked all the Board members for their hard and dedicated work, and that it was a pleasure to work with them all for the past two years.
All business being covered, President Lynn Heller declared the meeting adjourned.
The next meeting of the Board is on May 11th at Perkins.
Dr. Brian Matthew Jordan
Marching Home: Union Veterans and Their Unending Civil War
Gettysburg CWRT Field Trip 2017
A tour of Antietam National Battlefield
with very special guide
Dr. Carol Reardon
May 20, 2017
Join us for a full day on the battlefield for a tour based on her
2016 book, co-authored with Tom Vossler, A Field Guide To Antietam.
More information and Reservation Form.
All seats are filled for this trip.